What is the difference between HTML and XML?
HTML and XML are the two markup languages that confuse people. Most people think HTML and XML are alternatives, which is not true. I know there are lots of similarities between these languages, but the purposes of both languages are different from each other.
So, In today’s article, we will make a detailed comparison of these two languages.
What is HTML?
HTML is a short name for “Hyper Text Markup Language” it is a markup language that is popularly known to create the structure or layout of a webpage with the help of some predefined tags written within angle brackets (<>). Tim Berners-Lee developed HTML in 1991.
In Html, the term “Hyper Text” means connecting different web pages of a website with one another or a website to other websites through links. And ‘Markup language’ is a type of language that uses special symbols called Tags to tell the browser how to structure a webpage.
Features of HTML
- It is a platform-independent language that can easily run on any operating system.
- Html has a predefined syntax, making it easy to learn and use.
- HTML helps to increase the SEO of your website.
- The best feature of HTML is Hypertext or Hyperlink, by which you can link one webpage to another.
Code language: HTML, XML (xml)
<html> <head> <title>Code Example</title> </head> <body> <h1>Namaste Duniya!</h1> </body> </html>
What is XML?
XML, “Extensible Markup Language, ” was developed by W3C in 1996 to overcome some issues of HTML, but XML could not replace HTML. And both languages are used today according to their features.
XML is a markup language similar to Html. It is used to store and transfer data using custom tags that users can create according to their needs, e.g., if you want to store a person’s salary, you can create a <salary></salary> tag to store their salary.
Features of XML
- XML is a case-sensitive language that means “hello” and “Hello” are two different words.
- There are no predefined tags in XML, and you can create your own and use them.
- It is mandatory to use both opening and closing tags in XML.
- Code written in XML is both machine and user-friendly.
- XML is used to carry data, not to display the data.
Code language: HTML, XML (xml)
<Marks> <Dsa>69</Dsa> <Oops>75</Oops> <Os>71</Os> </Marks>
Note:- As I already told you, XML is a case-sensitive language, so use the same case letters in the opening and closing tags. Otherwise, you don’t get the expected output.
Similarities in HTML and XML
We will discuss some similarities between these two languages in this section.
- Tim Berners-Lee developed both the languages HTML and XML.
- Both languages are Markup Languages HTML(Hyper Text Markup Language) and XML(Extensible Markup Language).
- The third similarity is that both languages work with data. Html display the data, and XML store or transport the data.
- The mother of Both languages is the same because HTML and XML originated from SGML( Standard Generalized Markup Language).
Difference Between HTML and XML (Side-by-Side Comparison)
As I already told you that there are lots of differences between HTML and XML few of which are mentioned here:-
|1.||HTML is used to display the data on the webpage.||XML is used to store and transfer data over the Internet.|
|2.||It is case-insensitive language.||It is a case-sensitive language.|
|3.||It ignores minor errors in the code.||It is very strict about the errors in the code.|
|4.||It is a static language.||It is a dynamic language.|
|5.||HTML is very easy to learn.||XML is hard to learn in comparison to HTML.|
|6.||All the tags are predefined in HTML.||No predefined tags exist in XML, so that you can create your custom tags.|
|7.||The closing tag is not mandatory in HTML, e.g., <hr>,<br>, etc.||Closing tags of all tags are mandatory in XML.|
|9.||HTML is a machine-friendly language.||XML is both machine and human-friendly language.|
You learn a lot about HTML and XML, but most think about the real-world use of these two markup languages, especially XML. So, let’s discuss that also.
Uses of XML
Layouts Design:- XML is widely used to create the layouts of android applications. These layouts control the data flow on the screen.
Search Queries:- Search Engines use XML to provide correct and fast results for your queries.
Create Dynamic Webpages:- XML is also used to create dynamic webpages so users can easily interact with the webpage’s content.
Uses of HTML
Browse the Internet:- Because there is a hypertext feature in HTML that connects the whole web, we can easily navigate the Internet.
Structure a document:- There are lots of semantic tags in HTML like <main>, <nav>, <article>, etc., through which we can properly structure our webpage according to the web-defined rules.
Now we can conclude that the purposes of HTML and XML are different from each other. HTML is used to display the data, while XML is used to store or transport the data on the Internet.
Sharing is caring
Did you like what Manish Kumar wrote? Thank them for their work by sharing it on social media.