Metaverse meaning – How to get started with Metaverse?
The prefix “meta” comes from Greek and means beyond, after, or across. The word “verse” is from our universe. So, the Metaverse is something that is beyond our Universe. And that’s true because the Metaverse is a virtual reality that looks exactly the same as our reality, but it’s not the actual reality. I know it sounds funny and complicated at the same time.
According to Wikipedia –
In futurism and science fiction, the metaverse is a hypothetical iteration of the Internet as a single, universal and immersive virtual world that is facilitated by the use of virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) headsets. In colloquial use, a metaverse is a network of 3D virtual worlds focused on social connection.“
Let us understand this definition. And before that, let us understand the meaning of the keywords used in this definition, i.e. Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, etc.
The computer-generated simulation of a three-dimensional image or environment that can be interacted with in a seemingly real or physical way by a person using special electronic equipment, such as a helmet with a screen inside or gloves fitted with sensors.
And once you wear this Virtual Reality Headset, you experience an entirely different world. This world can be your favorite movie, game, etc.
According to Wikipedia, it is an interactive experience of a real-world environment where the objects that reside in the real world are enhanced by computer-generated perceptual information.
In the above image, you can clearly see that there is no sofa set in the room (our real world). But when looking through a mobile you can see a sofa set. So augmented reality is enhancing our real-world experience i.e. the room, with computer-generated perceptual information, i.e. the sofa set in this case.
Now, let us go back to the definition of the Metaverse to understand it. So, the Metaverse is not only using Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality technologies but also connecting this VR and AR experience with the Internet so that you can have social interactions with fellow human beings.
Metaverse VS Virtual Reality
Virtual Reality is a subset of the Metaverse. We can do various things in Metaverse that VR cannot do. For example –
- In the Metaverse world, you will not require a virtual headset in order to experience the Metaverse. A chip will be installed into your brain and you can have the Metaverse experience whenever and wherever you want.
- In the Metaverse world, you will be able to buy and sell things as the Metaverse involves NFTs. That’s why companies like Nike are planning for selling shoes in the metaverse.
- In the Metaverse world, you can connect to the internet with the help of which you will be able to make social connections with your friend just like you are doing via social media. But in the Metaverse, your friends and relatives will look more real as compared to the 2D environment provided by social media.
Stages Of The Metaverse
Currently, we are in-between stage 1 and stage 2 where we are trying to create good virtual reality headsets and virtual reality body suits which can help us to experience the Metaverse in a good way.
Stage 3 is a time taking journey when some chips will be installed in our brain and we will not require any virtual reality headsets and gears in order to experience the Metaverse. We will be able to experience the Metaverse whenever we want.
Obstructions In The Metaverse
- Community – We are very early at this point in time in Metaverse technology. Hence, there is less community to support it. So the development of the Metaverse will take a lot of time.
- Hardware – The hardware that is required to experience the Metaverse is still not that good. If they are good, then they are very expensive which everyone in society still cannot afford.
- Internet – As I told above Metaverse will allow internet connectivity. With the help of this internet connectivity, we will be able to explore the world, talk to our friends, go to events, etc. But this requires a very good stable internet connection as Metaverse is all about virtual reality which is created using graphics. And to run these graphics we require a very good internet connection.
- Social Media – Currently in order to communicate with our friends we use social media applications like Facebook, Instagram, etc. The problem with these applications is that they provide us with a 2D environment to connect to our friends. On the other hand, the Metaverse will provide you with a real-life experience of connecting with your friends as if it is real.
- Travelling – With the development of Metaverse, you do not need to travel anywhere. Just at the comfort of your home, you will be able to travel to whichever country you want to travel to in just a fraction of a second. Not only this but you will also be able to travel to space and you won’t need a spaceship for that. Isn’t it cool!
- Gaming – Everyone enjoys playing games but what if I say to you will not just be playing games but you will become a part of it. Interesting! Isn’t it? With the advancement of Metaverse technology, you can become a part of the game and can go on a real adventure.No need to just play a Spiderman game but it’s time to become one.
- Entertainment – Your favourite band is performing but you cannot go there. Why? It might be in some other country or it might be very costly. Don’t worry! Metaverse is here now. With the Metaverse technology, you will be able to enjoy your favourite band in the comfort of your home and that too with your friends.
Brands Interested in Metaverse
According to Wikipedia, we started seeing the use of Virtual Reality during 1970-1990. This time period suggests that Virtual Reality is not a very new concept. Then why do brands like Nike, Gucci, etc, and tech giants like Apple, Microsoft, etc now seem to be very much excited about this technology? And the answer to this is NFTs.
As we discussed above Metaverse gives the leverage of using NFTs while Virtual Reality cannot. Virtual Reality is popular but till now it was only popular because of games and entertainment stuff. But with the power of NFT and Blockchain, these big brands like Nike and Gucci can sell their NFTs inside this Virtual Reality or should I say Metaverse.
Just like on social media platforms everyone wants to look good, want to show their branded clothes, watches, etc. Don’t these people want to wear these branded clothes, watches, etc in the Metaverse environment? Obviously, they will. And that’s why these brands are excited about the Metaverse. They can sell their brands to you in the Metaverse environment and can make a huge amount of profit.
Dangerous Of The Metaverse
Metaverse is a revolutionary technology but it also brings some dangers to society. Unlike the social media application which provides us with a 2D experience everything that occurs in a Metaverse environment is real as reality.
- Harassment – Cases of Harassment are pretty much common in the Metaverse environment.As there are no laws and regulations by the Metaverse company anyone can do whatever they want.
- Health Issues – Getting everything in the comfort of your home can increase health-related issues such as stress, anxiety, obesity, etc. Human beings are social animals they need to interact with others and with nature. Everything that Metaverse provides might look real but we have to understand that in the end, it’s all virtual.
- Bullying – As there are no laws in the Metaverse kids are the most vulnerable. They can become a part of bullying and there will be no one to protect them. For them, everything will feel real. Social media already has done a lot of damage to kids, who knows what type of damage the Metaverse will bring with it.
- Living in VR – Have you seen the movie Inception by Leonardo DiCaprio? If not then spoiler alert. In Inception movie, Leonardo DiCaprio’s wife was so much involved in virtual reality (dreams) that she was not able to figure out the difference between what is real and what is not and commits suicide in the end.
Metaverse is just a technology how we use it will determine its impact on society. We need to educate ourselves about this technology so that we can not only protect ourselves but also others. Government must implement strict cyber laws as well as privacy laws.
I hope by now you have understood the Metaverse technology. We learned so many things such as what is Metaverse, Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Stage of the Metaverse, Applications, etc.
Sharing is caring
Did you like what Kshitij wrote? Thank them for their work by sharing it on social media.
No comments so far
Leave a question/feedback and someone will get back to you