How to Become a Blockchain Developer in 2023?
Blockchain is one of the buzzwords every newbie programmer hears nowadays. The popularity of cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum increased in the past years.
All the cryptocurrencies and tokens work on top of the Blockchain. As cryptocurrencies are popular today, everyone is talking about Blockchain and Web3.
We will talk about Blockchain basics, the role of a Blockchain developer, tools and technologies used, etc.
Let’s dive in.
What is Blockchain Development?
Blockchain is simply a “Distributed Immutable Ledger.”
Distributed:- It uses different systems to record or modify transactions instead of keeping data in a single centralized system.
Immutable:- A single user cannot change or modify the data in a Blockchain without the knowledge of other users (everyone has the exact copy of the Blockchain).
Ledger:- Ledger keeps records of all the transactions done. For example, a diary is used in shops to keep track of all the transactions.
Time required to learn
There is no fixed time required to become a Blockchain developer. It can vary from person to person. It depends on how much time you devote to learning.
If you are a beginner in Blockchain development, you will need at least six months to learn it. It also depends on whether you are a self-learner or following a guided curriculum/course.
In a guided course, you don’t have to worry about what to learn, projects, etc. It becomes easy and less time-consuming for you. On the other hand, a self-learner might consume more time than a learner using a guided course.
We will also see a course specifically designed for Blockchain and Web3 development.
Role of a Blockchain Developer
There are mainly two types of Blockchain developers.
- Blockchain core developers:- They are responsible for making the architecture of a Blockchain system.
- Blockchain software developers:- Their primary responsibilities include developing, testing, and maintaining a Dapp (decentralized app).
Prerequisites to learn Blockchain Development
It is one of the rapidly growing fields in the IT industry. Blockchain is still a new field compared to others. The supply of Blockchain developers is way less than they require. There are currently lakhs of job openings for Blockchain development all over the world.
You should know programming basics before you want to start learning Blockchain development. It will help you because you will work with Js and Solidity.
If you already know front-end development or any front-end libraries/frameworks, this will be helpful for you. Because you already covered a portion required to become a Blockchain developer. It will also save you around a month.
Basic knowledge about cryptocurrencies can be helpful for you. You can also learn about decentralization. The mentioned prerequisites are not a compulsion. If you are a beginner, it is okay for you if you don’t know them.
Technologies Used by a Blockchain Developer
Now that you have basic information about Blockchain development. It’s time to go deep into the tools and technologies you will use.
I will tell you the complete roadmap from start to end. It includes all the tools, technologies, libraries, and frameworks used by Blockchain developers.
The main work of a blockchain developer is to develop Dapps. So, before moving to the roadmap, we will talk about Dapps a bit.
What is Dapp?
Dapp is also known as a decentralized application. A Dapp does not run on any single server but runs on every node which is a part of this Blockchain network.
A Dapp consists of a smart contract and a front-end. When we integrate the smart contract with the front end and deploy this on a decentralized network, we get a Dapp.
Roadmap to a Blockchain developer
- Programming language: A programming language is a basic necessity for developing smart contracts. Solidity and Vyper are two commonly used. I will say go with Solidity because of its big community (beneficial for a beginner to find resources ).
- Front end: You will need a front-end language to design the front end of a Dapp. Js is the language to choose (front-end king). However, better to learn a Js framework or library, as your focus should be a smart contract. You can learn React.js, Angular.js, or Vue.js.
- Database: You will need a database to store your data. Learn any SQL (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.) or NoSQL (MongoDB, Cassandra, etc.) database.
- Back-end: You should learn a back-end (server-side) programming language. Choose any one from Js, Java, Python, etc.
- Ether.js/Web3.js/Web3.py: At the end, you need to know some way or the other to connect the front end with the smart contract.
- OOPS concepts: OOPS allow Blockchain developers to easily mold data and functions together in a single module, just like Blockchain molds the blocks with cryptographic chains.
- Hyperledger: It is a global Blockchain project that sets the standards and guidelines to build a Blockchain project or any related use.
- Other skills to learn:
- Geth (used in a system to make them a node)
- Truffle and Hardhat
- Genash: local Blockchain
- IPFS: Decentralized solution to store large amounts of data
Recommended course to follow
If you want to learn Blockchain development in a structured manner, I highly recommend you join Codedamn’s “Web 3.0 Blockchain Developer Learning Path”.
It is a structured learning path comprised of multiple modules. Each module contains theory, labs, quizzes, and articles. This course teaches Blockchain development in a well-defined manner so that you don’t get stuck in tutorial hell.
A structured learning path saves you a lot of time & you do enough practice and some good projects along with theoretical learning.
Course link – Click Here
Salary trends in 2023
Blockchain development is one of the domains where the supply of developers is way less than the demand. It will be one of the most trending fields in 2023.
According to Naukri.com, more than 50 thousand jobs are opening for Blockchain developers in India.
According to various sources, the average salary for a fresher Blockchain developer in India is around ₹5 LPA. It is a decent salary for a fresher compared to other developers.
Blockchain development is among one of the fastest-growing fields in the IT industry. It is one of the top picks to choose from for 2023.
I hope this article will help you to understand Blockchain development, tools, and technologies used, salary trends, etc.
Sharing is caring
Did you like what Ankur Balwada wrote? Thank them for their work by sharing it on social media.
No comments so far
- Web3.js Complete Tutorial 2022 – Get Started with ...